A little bit of motivation goes a long way, but sometimes it’s hard to keep the fires stoked – even in high-performing teams.
Finding ways to improve motivational methods is well worth the effort though, especially when you consider that employees who feel committed, engaged and motivated perform 20% better than those who don’t.
A comprehensive and holistic motivational strategy is the best way to increase feelings of inspiration and engagement, and some well-timed and sincere motivational quotes can be a valuable part of the mix.
Why is employee motivation so important?
Employee motivation is key when it comes to building a thriving workplace. We all know how much harder it is to complete tasks when you’re feeling lacklustre and demotivated – and that’s as true in work as it is everywhere else in life.
Without a decent strategy for motivating employees, you’re missing out on an important opportunity to help improve your organisation and boost the wellbeing of your team. Did you know that, according to a report, 43% of employees connect workplace wellbeing with motivation?
The benefits of employee motivation
When employees don’t feel motivated or engaged, they can quickly grow bored – and according to a survey by Korn Ferry, one in three professionals cite boredom as their top reason for leaving a job.
Helping keep your employees motivated with a few choice words will help them feel happier at work and more productive. Motivated employees are also engaged employees who have an emotional connection to their work that benefits everyone.
Motivational quotes for energising employees
From business moguls and politicians to celebrities and sportspeople, we’ve picked out motivational quotes from movers and shakers ready for you to share with your staff.
Positive quotes about making your own luck
- “Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work” – Thomas Edison
- “Inspiration does exist, but it must find you working” – Pablo Picasso
- “I never dreamed about success. I worked for it” – Estée Lauder
- “I’m a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” – Thomas Jefferson
- “You’ve got to get up every morning with determination if you’re going to go to bed with satisfaction” – George Lorimer
Motivational quotes about stretching yourself
- “Always work hard on something uncomfortably exciting” – Larry Page
- “Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can’t lose” – Bill Gates
- “Don’t spend time beating on a wall, hoping to transform it into a door” – Coco Chanel
- “I’d rather regret the things I’ve done than regret the things I haven’t done” – Lucille Ball
- “Success is peace of mind, which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to become the best of which you are capable” – John Wooden
Motivational quotes for teams who thrive
- “Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success” – Henry Ford
- “Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence win championships” – Michael Jordan
- “Getting the right people and the right chemistry is more important than the right idea” – Ed Catmull
- “The strength of the team is each individual member. The strength of each member is the team” – Phil Jackson
- “No one can whistle a symphony. It takes a whole orchestra to play it” – H.E. Luccock
Quotes to combat the fear of failure
- “Think like a queen. A queen is not afraid to fail. Failure is another stepping stone to greatness” – Oprah Winfrey
- “The successful man will profit from his mistakes and try again in a different way” – Dale Carnegie
- “It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation” – Herman Melville
- “You can’t be afraid to fail. It’s the only way you succeed. You’re not gonna succeed all the time” – LeBron James
- “You can’t let your failures define you. You have to let your failures teach you” – Barack Obama
Perfect quotes for dreaming big
- “All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them” – Walt Disney
- “Setting goals is the first step in turning the invisible into the visible” – Tony Robbins
- “Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway” – Earl Nightingale
- “So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable” – Christopher Reeve
- “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream” – C. S. Lewis
Motivational quotes to inspire success
- “The most important investment you can make is in yourself” – Warren Buffett
- “Imagination is more important than knowledge” – Albert, Einstein
- “The elevator to success is out of order. You’ll have to use the stairs, one step at a time” – Joe Girard
- “If you are working on something that you really care about, you don’t have to be pushed. The vision pulls you” – Steve Jobs
- “Take the attitude of a student, never be too big to ask questions, never know too much to learn something new” – Augustine Og Mandino
How to successfully use motivational quotes
Not sure how to take these quotes and effectively pass them on to your teams? Here are a few suggestions to get you started.
Share quotes regularly but not too frequently
When introducing motivational quotes into your communications, remember that a less is more approach tends to work best. The last thing you want is to sound like a walking billboard!
By sharing one quote at a time and limiting them to one or two a week, they’re much more like to have an impact.
Balance your quotes with words of affirmation
For your motivational quotes to be as effective as possible, be sure to share them alongside words of affirmation. Employees who feel appreciated are much more likely to be energised by inspiring words and will be in a better place to put your quotes to good use.
Pick your platform wisely
There are lots of different ways to share motivational quotes effectively.
You could include one in your weekly meetings, pop them in a round-up email or share them over any existing employee engagement platform. For example, our employee recognition software lets you quickly and easily share important Moments with your colleagues and is the perfect forum for adding in a few inspirational quotes.
Mo is an employee engagement platform that can help leaders improve collaboration and morale, reduce employee churn and drive change.
Our platform creates a vibrant culture by developing team habits, encouraging people to celebrate success, recognise results and appreciate colleagues.
Your complete toolkit for connecting and motivating teams in the new world of work. Book a demo with our team today!